A new PS5 system update is rolling out across all systems, adding support for 1440p resolution, gamelists (folders), and more. Features of the new PS5 patch for September 2022 had been tested in a beta build that was released towards the end of July, but now all owners of Sony’s current-gen system can enjoy them.
PS5 System Update September 2022 patch notes
YouTube Search through Voice Command
Users in the US and UK can now search for content on YouTube through Voice Command (Preview). From anywhere on PS5, including during gameplay, users can say “Hey PlayStation, find on YouTube.” The YouTube app will then open and show relevant results.
New Gameplay and Personalization Options
- 1440p HDMI Video Output
- The PS5 beta introduces support for 1440p HDMI video output, enabling players to choose an additional visual setting on compatible PC monitors and TVs.**
- If the game you’re playing supports 1440p rendering you can experience native 1440p output on your display.
- Or, if you’re playing a game with a higher native resolution like 4K, then you may benefit from improved anti-aliasing through supersampling down to 1440p output.
- You can check if your HDMI device is compatible by selecting “Test 1440p Output” under “Screen and Video” options within system settings.
- In your Game Library you can now create gamelists, which make organizing your games even easier.
- To start, go to the [Your Collection] tab and select [Create Gamelist]. Choose games to add to your gamelist, then decide what to name it.
- You can have up to 15 gamelists and 100 games per gamelist. All games under the “Your Collection” tab of your Game Library can be added to a gamelist, including disc, digital and streaming titles.*** You can also add the same game to multiple gamelists.
- Compare 3D Audio and Stereo Audio
- You can now listen to and compare the difference between 3D and stereo audio on the same screen, and then choose your preferred setting.
- Easier Access to In-progress Activities
- When resuming a game, in-progress activities are often shown prominently at the top of the game hub to make it as easy and as fast as possible to get back to where you left off.
New Social Features
- Request Share Screen
- You can now request party members to start Share Screen to watch their gameplay. Go to the voice chat card, select the party member you want to send the request to, and then select [Request Share Screen].
- Joinable Game Notification
- When you join a party and a party member is playing a game you can join, you’ll now receive a notification. You can join the game directly from the notification.
- View New Friends’ Profiles
- When you accept a friend request in the [Received] list, you can now view your new friend’s profile in [Accepted Requests].
- Send Stickers and Voice Messages in Game Base
- In the Game Base card, you can now send stickers and voice messages to your groups.
In other PlayStation news, the PS Store has been updated globally with new games to play and new discounts to take advantage of. Multiple new Assassin’s Creed games will reportedly be revealed during Ubisoft Forward 2022. Cyberpunk 2077’s Phantom Liberty DLC is ditching PS4 and other last-gen consoles.