Valheim is a wonderful experience of the afterlife, and it is best enjoyed with friends. Building, slaying, and exploring can all be done with up to 10 players on both public and private servers. The game is still in beta, so it can be excused that it is still not possible to use voice chat in Valheim. Nevertheless, this does cause a few issues. Communication is key when you’re trying to take down a disgusting abomination in the swamps or lining up the perfect longhouse roof. Thankfully, with a few workarounds, you can grief your teammates to your heart’s content.
How to use voice chat in Valheim
Currently, in-game, the only chat option is via emotes or text chat. To use text chat, simply hit the enter button and type away. This will create a text message viewable by everyone in close proximity to you. If you want to talk to everyone across the map, you will have to use the command /s before your message. This will ‘shout’ or broadcast your message to all players on the server.
By far the most popular method of using voice chat is the widely used Discord option. By installing this third-party software you can open up a server and invite everyone in your game to partake in the chat. The link for a chat is easily shared.
The downside of this is that it doesn’t have proximity chat. Therefore, if you are all across the map, taking part in different activities, it will become quite jumbled when you use voice chat in Valheim. To install and use discord, follow these steps.
- Visit the Discord download page to install the game
- Follow the steps to get set up
- Next, create a log-in and username
- Click the plus symbol in the bottom left and select Create a Server
- Choose a name for your server, and make it as Viking as possible
- Finally, select Create
Once you have created a server, you can invite players to it with the join code. The server will remain active, and people can drop in and out as they please. This will allow you to use voice chat in Valheim.
Alternatively, Steam has an inbuilt group chat in the friend’s tab. This allows multiple people to be in the same conversation at the same time. Unlike discord, this does not require third-party software. This does come at the cost of not being able to have a permanent server.
- In Steam, open up your friends list from the bottom right menu.
- Select the friend you would like to chat to
- In the drop-down menu on their chat, select Start a Voice Chat
- Once this has been started, select other friends from your list
- Using the same drop-down menu, select Invite to Group Chat
- This will add them to your first chat, creating a group
Will there ever be voice chat in Valheim?
The game is still in its development stage, and the team is constantly adding new exciting, and innovative things. In the future, there may be an option added in, but at the moment, the team hasn’t given any hint as to when we may see it.
Finally, make sure you keep up to date with all things Valheim, including tips, tricks, and guides with our guides hub.