Final Fantasy XVI features a vast continent of Valisthea, where protagonist Clive Rosfield travels in search of the Mothercrystals. The five key nations of the game’s story are at the center of battles and power struggles. Let’s dive deeper into each of the kingdoms.
The Grand Duchy of Rosaria – Bastion of Tradition
- Rosaria is a coalition of small provinces in Western Valisthea that formed a nation relying on the Drake’s Breath Mothercrystal for aether. This is where Clive and Joshua Rosfield live and where the story of FFXVI unfolds.
- Home of the Dominant of the Phoenix.
The Holy Empire of Sanbreque – Where Ambition is Divine
- Sanbreque is the largest theocratic force in Valisthea, with the holy capital of Oriflamme established around the Drake’s Head Mothercrystal, which provides an abundant supply of magical aether to its people.
- Home of the Dominant of Bahamut
The Kingdom of Waloed – Indomitable in Its Isolation
- Waloed dominates the eastern half of the continent and is powered by the Drake’s Spine Mothercrystal. Although much of Waloed remains a mystery, it still attracts nations that desire control over the aether.
- Home of the Dominant of Odin
The Dhalmekian Republic – Whose Fortunes Shift Like the Desert Sands
- The Dhalmekian Republic is composed of five parliament states protected by the Drake’s Fang Mothercrystal within their mountainous borders in southern Valisthea.
- Home of the Dominant of Titan
The Iron Kingdom – Forged in Faith and Fear
- The Iron Kingdom is built on a group of five islands off the coast of Storm, the western region of the land., Its people practice the extreme Crystalline Orthodox faith and worship the Drake’s Breath Mothercrystal as they view the Dominants to be abominations.
- No Dominant resides here.
The Crystalline Dominion – The Unblinking Eye of the Storm
- The Crystalline Dominion remains neutral as all five nations require more aether, but they might be in danger should one gain too much power.
- Dominants do not reside here
In a recent chat with Creative Director Kazutoyo Maehiro about the history of Valisthea, he shared that the five main nations of the world were inspired by medieval history. If they created a world with kingdoms, everything became one-sided because of the strong influence of the king. With different types of governments in their minds, the team thought they could focus the story from different perspectives.
Maehiro stated that the designers first created the map of Valisthea before outlining the world’s history. CBUIII then placed towns and Mothercrystals, the source of magical aether, on the map to set up the game’s conflict and story.
Game Informer’s exclusive FFXVI coverage hub is a must-read for more information.