Pokémon Go is gearing up for an exciting event on Aug. 13 from 2-5 p.m. in your local time. During the Froakie Community Day, trainers can expect to encounter an abundance of Froakie, with an increased chance of finding a shiny variant. Along with the increased spawns, there are several other bonuses and perks to look forward to. Let’s dive into the details below.
If you’re hoping to catch a shiny Froakie, statistics gathered by The Silph Road (via Wayback Machine) indicate that the shiny rates on Community Days are approximately 1 in 25. This means that by actively playing throughout the three-hour window, you should encounter multiple shiny Pokémon. To maximize your chances, consider the following tips:
- Activate an Incense to attract Pokémon even if you’re short on time or Poké Balls.
- Quickly tap each Froakie to check for shininess, and flee from any that don’t meet the criteria.
- Keep in mind that already tapped Froakie will face your player’s direction, allowing you to identify which ones you’ve already checked.
By evolving Frogadier into Greninja between 2 p.m. and 10 p.m. in your local time, it will learn the charged move Hydro Cannon. If you miss this evolution window, don’t fret. There will likely be a Community Day weekend event in December where you can evolve Greninja to obtain Hydro Cannon. Alternatively, you can use an Elite TM to acquire the move.
Greninja has proven to be a solid contender in PvP battles, as confirmed by a comprehensive analysis conducted by JRE47, an expert from the Silph Road subreddit. With its new moves, Hydro Cannon (a Community Day legacy move) and Water Shuriken, Greninja becomes a formidable force. Notably, Water Shuriken grants Greninja the ability to charge Hydro Cannon faster than any other Pokémon in the game. In terms of raiding and PvE content, Greninja equipped with Water Shuriken and Hydro Cannon stands out as one of the most powerful water-type attackers. It’s important to note that this ranking excludes legendaries, shadow Pokémon, and Mega Evolutions.
If you’re in need of water-type attackers, seize this opportunity to capture a team of impressive frogs.
During Froakie Community Day, the following bonuses will be active:
- Tripled Stardust for catching Pokémon
- Doubled candy for catching Pokémon
- Doubled chance for level 31+ trainers to obtain XL candy from catching Pokémon
- Incense lasts for three hours
- Lure Modules last for three hours
- Froakie special photobombs when taking snapshots
- One additional special trade
- Stardust cost halved for trading
Make sure to activate a Star Piece and an Incense to enhance your gameplay and capture powerful Froakie. Additionally, if you have the ability to Mega Evolve Blastoise, Slowbro, Gyarados, or Swampert, each catch will reward you with extra Froakie Candy.
Furthermore, Niantic is hosting special four-star raids from 5-10 p.m. By defeating the Frogadier raid, Froakie will appear in a 300-meter radius around the gym for 30 minutes. Please note that these raids cannot be completed remotely. If the increased spawns during the usual 2-5 p.m. timeframe don’t yield the desired Froakie, engaging in raids provides another chance to catch it.