The Importance of Cleansing the Beacons in Lords of the Fallen
The beacons in Lords of the Fallen are vital points of interest that players should prioritize along with boss battles and fighting creatures of the dark. These pyres not only serve as quest objectives but also offer great rewards for players. This comprehensive guide will assist players in locating and cleansing the beacons to restore their power and protect the world from darkness.
Understanding the Beacons in Lords of the Fallen
The beacons are ancient artifacts created by the gods to defend the world against darkness. They harness divine light and emit a powerful aura to ward off the encroaching darkness. However, over time, these beacons have become corrupted, rendering them useless. This corruption has drained their power, allowing darkness to resurface and pose a significant threat to the world. The Umbral Realm, a dimension of pure darkness, is connected to these beacons. It houses malevolent forces that endanger the world and serves as the final line of defense against the merging of the Umbral Realm with the Realm of the Living. The player’s primary mission is to cleanse and restore these beacons to ignite their strength and shield the world from impending darkness.
Locating the Beacons
Lords of the Fallen features four beacons, each located in different areas accessible through Skyrest. Cleansing these beacons not only fulfills quest objectives but also provides various rewards and perks. Here are the locations of all the pyres in the game:
- Abbey of the Hallowed Sisters: Enter the Abbey from Skyrest and proceed until you reach the first room with enemies. Defeat all enemies and continue along the path until you enter a large chamber with a bonfire. Light the campfire and proceed through the door on the right. In the hallway with several doors, go through the one at the end. Defeat the enemies in the room and interact with the beacon to cleanse it.
- Fief of the Winter Curse: Journey to the Fief of the Winter Curse via the Skyrest route and defeat all enemies in the first room. Follow the path until you reach a large chamber with a bonfire. Light the bonfire and enter the door on the right. Inside the hallway with several doors, choose the second one on the right. Defeat the Hollow Crow boss and interact with the beacon in the room to cleanse it.
- Upper Crath: Enter Upper Crath from Skyrest and defeat all enemies in the first room. Follow the path until you reach a large chamber with a bonfire, then light it. Proceed through the door on the right into a hallway with several enemies. Defeat these enemies and continue until you reach a large room with the Lightreaper boss. Defeat the boss and interact with the beacon in the room to cleanse it.
- Vestige of Doln: Enter the Vestige of Doln from Skyrest and defeat all enemies in the first room. Follow the path until you reach a large chamber with a bonfire and light it. Proceed through the door on the right into a room filled with enemies. Defeat them all and interact with the beacon in the center of the room to cleanse it.
The Benefits of Cleansing the Beacons
Cleansing the beacons is essential to reactivate them and restore their role as protective barriers against the Umbral Realm. Additionally, players who undertake this task will receive numerous loot and rewards. Here are the reasons why you should cleanse these points of interest:
- Each cleansed beacon provides a permanent stat boost, enhancing your combat abilities and enabling you to overcome more challenging enemies.
- Cleansing the beacons unlocks new areas of the game and grants access to hidden secrets. These areas may contain powerful weapons, armor, abilities, and valuable lore.
- Unlocking the Radiant ending requires cleansing all five beacons.
- Cleansing the Upper Crath beacon unlocks the Lightreaper class, a formidable class suitable for both melee and ranged combat.
- Cleansing the Vestige of Doln beacon unlocks the Umbral Remnant class, a powerful class adept in dark magic.
The Consequences of Not Cleansing the Beacons
Choosing not to cleanse the beacons will lead to intriguing interactions with the game world. However, it will also make the game more challenging as corruption spreads. Here’s what will happen if you opt not to purify these pyres:
- The world will become increasingly corrupt and darker, making enemy encounters and game progression more difficult.
- The Radiant ending can only be achieved by cleansing all four beacons. Not cleansing even one pyre will prevent this outcome.
- To unlock the potent Lightreaper class, you must cleanse the Upper Crath beacon. If left uncleansed, you won’t have access to this class well-suited for melee and ranged combat.
- For the opportunity to utilize the formidable Umbral Remnant class specializing in dark magic, you must cleanse the Vestige of Doln beacon. Failure to do so will bar you from accessing this class.
Should You Cleanse the Beacons?
It is highly recommended that you cleanse the beacons during your initial playthrough. Doing so ensures that you unlock all available classes for subsequent New Game+ runs. Afterward, you can choose to avoid purifying any beacons for a more challenging experience. If you opt not to cleanse the beacons, explore hidden corners of the game world to discover hidden collectibles that might be nearby.