Making a city is one thing but maintaining and running is a whole different task altogether. One of the challenges that you will face and want a fix for is high rent in Cities Skylines 2. Now you might be wondering how this happened if you are providing all services correctly.
Well, to loosely explain it, this problem arises when your land value becomes too high. But the residents staying or the businesses running here are unable to pay you rent. This is just an oversimplification of what happens but there is more to it than meets the eye. So here are a couple of things you can do to combat it.
- Add Schools early: This is more of a prevention than a cure for this problem. Setting up schools early means you provide the children in your residents with proper education. This allows them to get jobs easily and eventually be able to pay rent on time.
- Reduce Taxes: Before you go ahead and move the slider to the left completely, be aware that it will affect your earnings. You will not make money that you used to. But the benefit you get from it is people and businesses will be able to pay their rent on time. So make sure you target only low-income houses and similar businesses.
- Offer fewer city services: Disabling city services decreases the quality of your city and will not make everyone want to stay. But that also means people who want to live will be able to afford it.
- Provide more jobs: The reason the rent is high is because people are not earning enough or at all to pay for it. Creating more jobs will allow citizens living in your city to pay their rent timely.
- Bulldoze unusable buildings: This is a simple fix. If you can’t solve it, get rid of the buildings and try all over again.
To fix the high rent issue you will have to do things that lower the value of your land in a way that allows your citizens to pay you rent.
Hopefully using the above solutions you will no longer get the high rent issue in Cities Skylines 2. While you are here also check out our how to export water, manage traffic, and remove garbage.